I quit my job as a career counselor for uni students at 30 to move to Australia for 12 months for a once in a lifetime opportunity. Following six months of travel + six months of living in Sydney, I realized there are MANY numbers that add up to one great year.
Ways I tried Vegemite: 3
– Standard — on toast with butter
– On toast with cheese (getting better!)
– The Cheesymite Scroll from Baker’s Delight (I had somewhere between 5-8 of these during my time in Oz — YUM)
Aussie animals I saw in the wild: 6
– I am sure I am missing some!
Aussie animals I ate: 3
– Emu burger and prosciutto
– Kangaroo steak and sausages
– Crocodile sausage
Aussie spiders I encountered: 2
– Huntsman (harmless but massive — and in my flat!)
Celebrities I met (don’t worry, I didn’t go all fangirl): 2
– Cate Blanchett came through my line twice at the store (we talked and she was very lovely).
– Erik Thomson (plays the dad on Australian TV show Packed to the Rafters) also came to the store and I helped him a couple of times.
Getting pulled over by police: 1
– For a breathalyzer, just after crossing the South Australia and Western Australia border.
Aussie Television appearances: 3
– State of Origin Game 1 (close up of our row — the couple beside me kept getting calls saying we’d been spotted)
– First episode of the SBS documentary on Adriano Zumbo (I appear on-screen *and* have 5 seconds worth of quality speaking time)
– Appearing in the studio audience of two episodes of Ready Steady Cook
Domestic one-way flights: 6
– Sydney to Melbourne
– Alice Springs to Sydney
– Sydney to Brisbane
– Brisbane to Sydney
– Sydney to Melbourne
– Melbourne to Cairns
Items addressed on the bucket list or goals list:
– NYE in Sydney by the Harbour
– Karaoke for the first time
– Living in another country for a year
– Taking a Bollywood class (it was only once, but it’s a start)
Photos uploaded to Flickr: 953
– I took loads more than that!
Live sporting events I attended: 4
– Games 1 and 3 of State of Origin (rugby league)
– 2 AFL (Aussie Rules) games, watching my beloved Brisbane Lions lose to North Melbourne and St. Kilda
Tweeps I met: 30+
– Met my first friends from Twitter during weeks 2 and 3 in Melbourne (@darrenc121, @JCDayDream, @Vagabond3Live)
– Heaps more with Sydney Travel Massive (formerly Sydney Travel Tribe)
– And lots of other group or one-on-one meetups!
Macarons consumed: 67
– It doesn’t have the impressive ring of “100!!”, but it was still a fun, tasty, waist-line expanding challenge
Vehicles owned: .5
– Paul Heinz
Visitors from home: 4
– Grayson and I met years ago through a mutual interest Star Wars (oh yeah!) and he’s been living & working as an expat in Japan for several years. He visited Oz for a week, splitting his time between Melbourne and visiting me in Sydney.
– Nicole visited for 2 weeks shortly after I moved to Sydney and loved it so much she returned on the Work & Holiday Visa a few months later.
– My parents came for 10 days in November — their first trip to Australia and my mom’s first trip overseas!
3 most enjoyable coffees:
– Mrs S in Perth (piccolo latte and cappuccino)
– Naked Bean Coffee in Albany (cappuccino)
– Three Bags Full in Melbourne (magic)
2 favorite Australia TV shows:
– Masterchef Australia (and Junior Masterchef)
– The Hollowmen (only lasted for 2 series of 6 episodes each, but they’re brilliant)
Memories I’ll never forget: Countless
Thanks for checking out my year-in-review-by-numbers! You might also like:
– My foodie year-in-review
– To follow me on There’s No Place Like Oz on Facebook
– To follow me on Heather Travels on YouTube